Which bar exam should I take?

waldorf

Which bar exam should I take?

Post by waldorf » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:31 pm

I graduate in May 2020 and will be working at a firm in Texas. I just found out that while Texas is not offering the UBE until February of 2021, they will begin to accept UBE scores in December 2019. As such, I could take the bar in July 2020 in a UBE state and transfer my score to Texas. I can submit my transfer application before I get my score, so I shouldn't have any C&F delays, etc. (i.e., I don't have to wait for them to start the C&F investigation until after I get my UBE score back).

What would y'all do in this situation? It seems like the pros of taking the UBE are that I have to learn less material for the bar (I won't have to learn all the Texas-specific subjects that I have no familiarity with), which will probably make studying slightly less stressful, and I will have a UBE score that I can transfer to another state if I ever move. Do these pros outweigh the cons of having to deal with transferring my score and taking the bar exam in another state?

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Re: Which bar exam should I take?

Post by ymmv » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:44 pm

Depends on how likely you are to change states, but I would definitely take the UBE if it were me. Not a huge list of cons for keeping options open. And IIRC the UBE scoring is more multiple-choice centric than Texas, which I find much easier and more predictable to study for than state essays.