Long-time users: please note that the prosilver and Allanstyle-subsilver styles will be phased out in the coming months due to upcoming site update incompatibilities. If you use either style, you can change back to the default proflat style at any time in your User Control Panel, or simply wait for the update to do so automatically. Thanks for your patience, and apologies to any folks who prefer the old look.

Bar Exam Burnout?

WhereIsYonder

Bar Exam Burnout?

Post by WhereIsYonder » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:37 pm

Does anyone here have ideas re: dealing with burnout when studying for the bar exam? I think law school took more out of me than I realized and I'm having trouble bringing myself to study as much as I should. Advice or insight would be much appreciated.

ymmv

Re: Bar Exam Burnout?

Post by ymmv » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:24 pm

Gotta exercise self-care. Bar study should never be occupying more than a workload’s worth (let’s say 8 hours) of your day even come crunch time in July. Relax at night. Have fun on weekends. Go out with friends, watch your favorite shows and movies, play video games. Eat well. Don’t neglect your hobbies.

If you’re already feeling that burnt out from law school, take a few days without studying to recharge. It’s still June – you can afford the time. Sleep, relax, enjoy yourself then jump back into it with a reasonable fixed schedule. Check into the chill bar exam thread. Set aside 3 hours of your day for watching/listening to lectures (maybe while exercising or going for walks) and 3-5 for MBE drilling – and a day or two a week for essay practice if you’re in a non-autopass state – something like that. Take hourly breaks. Maybe look into the pomodoro technique if that might be more your learning style speed.

Trying to go 24/7 over 2-3 months of studying is total self-sabotage.

WhereIsYonder

Post by WhereIsYonder » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:50 pm

Ohhhh so that's where everyone is--I was wondering why I didn't see a thread going under "bar study."

Thank you. This is really good advice. I think I'm going to take a few days off and see if that helps.

justanotheruser

Post by justanotheruser » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:34 am

Passed the Feb '18 CA bar here (sixth try).

I definitely echo a lot here...
  • When I planned out my 10-week study calendar, I made sure to build in random "chill" days every 10-14 days. For example, maybe I'd designate Thursday of Week 5 as a chill/free day, but I gave myself the freedom to use that day whenever during Week 5. Giving myself a day off here and there was so refreshing that I still ended up getting a little studying done even on those days.
  • I also will swear by the Pomodoro technique. I used it pretty sparingly during the first month and a half (mainly for randomly long study days), but almost every day during the last 1.5 to 2 weeks before the exam.
  • This is just my opinion, but I'd describe most of bar prep as marathon. If any part of it is a sprint, I'd say it's the last 1.5 to 2 weeks. Honestly, until the last week or so before D-Day, my typical hours were 10 to 6. And it's not like I was studying every single second during those hours (e.g. lunch break, coffee break, walk around the library to stretch, etc.)

ymmv wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:24 pm
If you’re already feeling that burnt out from law school, take a few days without studying to recharge. It’s still June – you can afford the time. Sleep, relax, enjoy yourself then jump back into it with a reasonable fixed schedule. Check into the chill bar exam thread. Set aside 3 hours of your day for watching/listening to lectures (maybe while exercising or going for walks) and 3-5 for MBE drilling – and a day or two a week for essay practice if you’re in a non-autopass state – something like that. Take hourly breaks. Maybe look into the pomodoro technique if that might be more your learning style speed.

Trying to go 24/7 over 2-3 months of studying is total self-sabotage.

Amjur7

Post by Amjur7 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:55 pm

I agree with everything posted here. Even though I was a top student I let myself stress out anyway because I was going to be tested on lots of subjects I had never taken. I should have relied on my skills and the strength of my
Bar review course which was awesome. Also I would emphasize studying for the multi state if you can score well on that you will almost certainly pass the exam
Amjur7