Vanderbilt c/o 2021!

Snowflake 1996

Vanderbilt c/o 2021!

Post by Snowflake 1996 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:22 am

Moving this thread to the correct forum.

Now let's chat about Vanderbilt! Are people feeling Nashville after ASW or what? Who has already submitted a seat deposit? What is everyone most excited about? Scholarship questions... (i know it sucks VLS doesn't negotiate)? How is everyone gonna pick out roommates? Where will you live? What are you doing over the summer? When are you moving to Nashville? How will you choose bt VLS and that school that removed you from their waitlist?

This thread is meant to talk about all those questions and more! I'm so excited to meet you all next Fall!!!

bdsc

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2021!

Post by bdsc » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:18 pm

Snowflake 1996 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:22 am
Moving this thread to the correct forum.

Now let's chat about Vanderbilt! Are people feeling Nashville after ASW or what? Who has already submitted a seat deposit? What is everyone most excited about? Scholarship questions... (i know it sucks VLS doesn't negotiate)? How is everyone gonna pick out roommates? Where will you live? What are you doing over the summer? When are you moving to Nashville? How will you choose bt VLS and that school that removed you from their waitlist?

This thread is meant to talk about all those questions and more! I'm so excited to meet you all next Fall!!!
Checking in now that we’re in the right forum :lol: Submitting my seat deposit probably within the next week or so. Pretty stoked to get to move to Nashville, I loved it and the school when I visited and I’m excited to get to experience more of it at ASP next weekend!

Also I vote we get a poll of some kind going (not sure what though).

Interstellar

Post by Interstellar » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:33 pm

Current 2L here. Happy to answer any questions you guys have and excited for you all to start in the fall. Congrats!

Snowflake 1996

Post by Snowflake 1996 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:58 pm

Do you have any advice on finding roommates if you're not going to ASW?

sartorial splendor

Post by sartorial splendor » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:04 pm

Interstellar wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:33 pm
Current 2L here. Happy to answer any questions you guys have and excited for you all to start in the fall. Congrats!
How did you find the work load/social life balance your 1L year at Vandy? How was your Legal Research and Writing class?
Good Professors? Thanks for making yourself available to answer our questions!

Interstellar

Post by Interstellar » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:57 pm

sartorial splendor wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:04 pm
Interstellar wrote:
How did you find the work load/social life balance your 1L year at Vandy? How was your Legal Research and Writing class?
1L year was okay in terms of the work load/social life balance. There are alot of social events that take place on campus and off campus. It really just depends on the individual though. I probably took my 1st year more serious than I should've, but that's kinda of my personality. I really wanted to do well so I was kind of an introvert. But in reality, alot of my friends who would regularly go to bar review and other social events did really well too. Again, it really depends on your personality. It's definitely important to make time for fun stuff because you the first year will be tough, wherever you go. But to be honest, the Vandy environment is pretty chill for the most part. People take their school work seriously, but they also make time for other stuff.

With regards to Legal Research, that was actually one of my better classes. Some schools do Pass Fail for LRW, but at Vandy the class is two credits. The class is still graded on a curve. Some students don't take it seriously because they think it's more strategic to focus on other classes. I think that's just dumb. The class sucks because you'll have to follow your professors picky instructions about how to write the briefs/motions, but in the end, it just comes down to following instructions and putting in time. I got As both semester and I wouldn't call myself a great writer. It provided a nice bump to my GPA in the end. Also, it'll be the most helpful thing for your summer job if you work in a law-related position. So overall, it's not fun, but I thought it was fair. Take it seriously and you'll do fine.

I have found the professors at Vandy to be awesome for the most part. Not all the 1Ls felt that way about the first year professors though. With the smaller class sizes, they really are accessible outside of class. Also, when it came time to studying for exams, almost all my professors provided plenty of old exams and model answers to study with, which for me was very helpful. A few of the 1L professors do graded quizzes. They such when you are studying for them, but in the end, you'll be better off because they force you to stay on top of the reading. They're also really cool about serving as references for resumes and providing LoRs if you're interested in clerking. To be fair, most of the above is probably true at the other top schools.
Last edited by Interstellar on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abyss

Post by abyss » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:50 pm

2L here too and agree with everything Interstellar said. I only had 1 class that had graded quizzes my 1L year, and the quizzes in that class were ridiculously easy.
Snowflake 1996 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:58 pm
Do you have any advice on finding roommates if you're not going to ASW?
The facebook group for your class.

bdsc

Post by bdsc » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:15 pm

Interstellar wrote:
How do you feel the employment opportunities are looking for your class? Vandy's placement has been really impressive the past few years, and if the NLJ rankings are any indication that trend continued for the Class of 2017. Since you guys have had OCI already/are in the midst of (or are finishing up?) the 2L summer job search, have you observed that your own (without getting too personal if you don't want to, just generally) and your classmates' prospects have been solid? The placement rate and locations are a big part of what drew me to Vandy vs other peer schools and even some T14s, amidst other factors, and the way that the employment rate has improved relative to other schools in the same amount of time has me really excited about the direction the school is headed in, so I'm interested to know what the insider perception is like.

Interstellar

Post by Interstellar » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:52 pm

bdsc wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:15 pm
Interstellar wrote:
How do you feel the employment opportunities are looking for your class? Vandy's placement has been really impressive the past few years, and if the NLJ rankings are any indication that trend continued for the Class of 2017. Since you guys have had OCI already/are in the midst of (or are finishing up?) the 2L summer job search, have you observed that your own (without getting too personal if you don't want to, just generally) and your classmates' prospects have been solid? The placement rate and locations are a big part of what drew me to Vandy vs other peer schools and even some T14s, amidst other factors, and the way that the employment rate has improved relative to other schools in the same amount of time has me really excited about the direction the school is headed in, so I'm interested to know what the insider perception is like.
The employment outcomes have been surprisingly better than I expected. Getting a 1L firm job is doable if you finish in the top third of your class after the first semester. I'd say about 15% of the class was able to obtain a firm job their firm summer. As for 2L OCI, overall I was impressed at the performance of our class. If you finish in the top third and do a decent job with your OCI bids, there's no excuse for not landing a SA position, even in the major markets. Vandy's OCI is not as good as attracting some of the major market firms, but the school hosts job fairs in those cities that are only for Vandy students. Generally speaking, people at or slightly below the median have to work harder and cast a wider net, but tbh, if you are aggressive with the job search and are strategic with your bids, being in this category shouldn't hold you back too mcuh. For the most part, the people who don't land firm jobs either don't want one (PI folks, JAG folks, ect), weren't sure they wanted one until late in the OCI process when it was too late, did not do their homework when it came to bidding (some people might unrealistically only bid on NY firms with a 3.0 expecting to land a job), or they were not prepared enough for the interviews. Are there people who do everything right but unfortunately strike out at OCI? Yes. But in my experience, those are the rare cases. If a student has done his homework and been aggressive with the job search, they should be in good shape during OCI.

More than happy to answer more questions. Also free free to DM me.

Cheers.

bdsc

Post by bdsc » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:23 pm

Interstellar wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:52 pm
bdsc wrote:
Interstellar wrote:
The employment outcomes have been surprisingly better than I expected. Getting a 1L firm job is doable if you finish in the top third of your class after the first semester. I'd say about 15% of the class was able to obtain a firm job their firm summer. As for 2L OCI, overall I was impressed at the performance of our class. If you finish in the top third and do a decent job with your OCI bids, there's no excuse for not landing a SA position, even in the major markets. Vandy's OCI is not as good as attracting some of the major market firms, but the school hosts job fairs in those cities that are only for Vandy students. Generally speaking, people at or slightly below the median have to work harder and cast a wider net, but tbh, if you are aggressive with the job search and are strategic with your bids, being in this category shouldn't hold you back too mcuh. For the most part, the people who don't land firm jobs either don't want one (PI folks, JAG folks, ect), weren't sure they wanted one until late in the OCI process when it was too late, did not do their homework when it came to bidding (some people might unrealistically only bid on NY firms with a 3.0 expecting to land a job), or they were not prepared enough for the interviews. Are there people who do everything right but unfortunately strike out at OCI? Yes. But in my experience, those are the rare cases. If a student has done his homework and been aggressive with the job search, they should be in good shape during OCI.

Cheers.
This is phenomenal, thank you so much! I'll probably PM at some point with some more specific questions. For one that could possibly be useful for the general public, how far down in the class does it seem like certain markets may reach, if you know or have an estimate offhand?

And piggy-backing off of that in regards to secondary markets, does it seem like people are able to get into them without ties/how specific does it seem like ties need to be if they are preferred? For example, does it seem like firms in Atlanta would give a person a look if they've lived in the Southeast for their entire life (not even sure that counts as a tie, it's pretty loose admittedly) and expressed a strong interest in living and settling down there? I've heard and read that people who place high enough in the class can get into some secondary markets like Atlanta and Texas on grades alone without ties, just wondering mostly out of curiosity if that's as true as it's made out to be or if it's exaggerated.

Thanks again for your help! This is pretty exciting information to have going into next year and is greatly appreciated!

Interstellar

Post by Interstellar » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:40 pm

bdsc wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:23 pm
Interstellar wrote:
bdsc wrote:
Interstellar wrote:

Cheers.
This is phenomenal, thank you so much! I'll probably PM at some point with some more specific questions. For one that could possibly be useful for the general public, how far down in the class does it seem like certain markets may reach, if you know or have an estimate offhand?

And piggy-backing off of that in regards to secondary markets, does it seem like people are able to get into them without ties/how specific does it seem like ties need to be if they are preferred? For example, does it seem like firms in Atlanta would give a person a look if they've lived in the Southeast for their entire life (not even sure that counts as a tie, it's pretty loose admittedly) and expressed a strong interest in living and settling down there? I've heard and read that people who place high enough in the class can get into some secondary markets like Atlanta and Texas on grades alone without ties, just wondering mostly out of curiosity if that's as true as it's made out to be or if it's exaggerated.

Thanks again for your help! This is pretty exciting information to have going into next year and is greatly appreciated!
According to the Career Service brochure, for the 2016 class, 28 students went to TN, 28 went to NY, 16 to DC, and 18 to Texas. Those are the 4 largest markets at play, with Georgia being the next in the batch. My class (2019), had roughly 40 more students than the prior, so consider that with the info I give you. I'd say the outcomes for my class from what I've heard have been similar to the job outcomes for the class of 2016. TN and NY will always be your two biggest markets. But there are things to consider. First, if you want Nashville, generally speaking the top 5 firms (Bass, Waller, Bradley, Butler, Baker) are hard to crack. Those firms are looking at students in the top third of their class, ideally top 20, and they ties are important. Are ties a deal breaker? Not always, but most of the time, yes. But if you're smart, you can prepare and BS good answers that might show your commitment to staying. Obviously being a minority candidate is extremely helpful as well, especially with the Nashville legal market. It's an issue with the top firms.

Outside of Tennessee, NY and DC are the next biggest, but they are significantly different imo. Generally speaking, DC is very hard to crack unless you're at least in the top third of the class. Even with that, it's no guarantee. I know lots of people who could had plenty of interviews but couldn't crack an offer. But if you do have decent grades, you will get interviews. Do your homework, come prepared for the interviews, and it's certainly doable. Interstingly enough, for whatever reason our class really wanted DC, and I think this will be Vandy's biggest class yet in the city based on talking to colleagues and figuring out who's going where. Lastly, for the most part DC (and NY) firms don't care about ties. Most of the SA going to the city will not have any significant ties when they start. So that shouldn't be your concern when you apply.

For NY, it's a bit easier. They don't give a shit about ties. For the top firms in NY, they want to see the grades of course. But many people at or below the median were able to get interviews and offers. Like I said, if you find yourself near the middle of the class, you need to be aggressive in the job search, and NY firms hire so many summers that it would be foolish not to look there.

For other regions like Texas and Georgia, ties are going to be more important. But think of it like this, the better your grades, the more likely they'll look past that. I knew a number of folks who had very little connections to Texas but were able to land 1L SA positions there because of great grades. Lastly, for CA, it's hard to offer advice. I know a few people who were able to land summer jobs, but they had to do more work outside of the OCI programs.

Hope that helps. PM me if you want specifics.

BigJohn

Post by BigJohn » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:29 pm

I'll be double depositing here and WashU, but committed til at least the 2nd deposit on June 1!

bdsc

Post by bdsc » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:58 pm

Interstellar wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:40 pm
bdsc wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:23 pm
Interstellar wrote:
bdsc wrote:
Interstellar wrote:

Cheers.

According to the Career Service brochure, for the 2016 class, 28 students went to TN, 28 went to NY, 16 to DC, and 18 to Texas. Those are the 4 largest markets at play, with Georgia being the next in the batch. My class (2019), had roughly 40 more students than the prior, so consider that with the info I give you. I'd say the outcomes for my class from what I've heard have been similar to the job outcomes for the class of 2016. TN and NY will always be your two biggest markets. But there are things to consider. First, if you want Nashville, generally speaking the top 5 firms (Bass, Waller, Bradley, Butler, Baker) are hard to crack. Those firms are looking at students in the top third of their class, ideally top 20, and they ties are important. Are ties a deal breaker? Not always, but most of the time, yes. But if you're smart, you can prepare and BS good answers that might show your commitment to staying. Obviously being a minority candidate is extremely helpful as well, especially with the Nashville legal market. It's an issue with the top firms.

Outside of Tennessee, NY and DC are the next biggest, but they are significantly different imo. Generally speaking, DC is very hard to crack unless you're at least in the top third of the class. Even with that, it's no guarantee. I know lots of people who could had plenty of interviews but couldn't crack an offer. But if you do have decent grades, you will get interviews. Do your homework, come prepared for the interviews, and it's certainly doable. Interstingly enough, for whatever reason our class really wanted DC, and I think this will be Vandy's biggest class yet in the city based on talking to colleagues and figuring out who's going where. Lastly, for the most part DC (and NY) firms don't care about ties. Most of the SA going to the city will not have any significant ties when they start. So that shouldn't be your concern when you apply.

For NY, it's a bit easier. They don't give a shit about ties. For the top firms in NY, they want to see the grades of course. But many people at or below the median were able to get interviews and offers. Like I said, if you find yourself near the middle of the class, you need to be aggressive in the job search, and NY firms hire so many summers that it would be foolish not to look there.

For other regions like Texas and Georgia, ties are going to be more important. But think of it like this, the better your grades, the more likely they'll look past that. I knew a number of folks who had very little connections to Texas but were able to land 1L SA positions there because of great grades. Lastly, for CA, it's hard to offer advice. I know a few people who were able to land summer jobs, but they had to do more work outside of the OCI programs.

Hope that helps. PM me if you want specifics.
Thanks so much for this, this definitely helps answer a lot of my questions! I'll for sure PM if/when I have anything more specific to ask.

fmlx5000

Post by fmlx5000 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Interstellar wrote:
If you can afford to live alone, would you recommend still getting roommates? (I guess for social reasons?)

abyss

Post by abyss » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:53 pm

fmlx5000 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:14 pm
If you can afford to live alone, would you recommend still getting roommates? (I guess for social reasons?)
Do you like living with other people? I live alone here and it is nice to be able to get away from law school and law students when I go home, especially around exam time when people are freaking out. There are tons of ways to be social (blackacre, bar review, organizations) that it isn't necessary to live with other students. That said, it could be nice to live with non-law students. I know several people who have done that and they seem to like it.

fmlx5000

Post by fmlx5000 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:29 pm

abyss wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:53 pm
fmlx5000 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:14 pm
Do you like living with other people? I live alone here and it is nice to be able to get away from law school and law students when I go home, especially around exam time when people are freaking out. There are tons of ways to be social (blackacre, bar review, organizations) that it isn't necessary to live with other students. That said, it could be nice to live with non-law students. I know several people who have done that and they seem to like it.
I feel like I don't really care either way as I mostly keep to myself at home, so i was just looking to see if anyone saw any advantage vs disadvantage from living with another law student - for example having a roommate who keeps relatively the same schedule/living with someone who will be having finals freakouts the same times as you

Also, what's the deal with every apartment building toting their pool like it's a huge deal. Is it?

Dough-Bear

Post by Dough-Bear » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:21 pm

FYI employment data dropped today

57.4% big law and 9.6% fed clerk

67% BL + FC

https://law.vanderbilt.edu/2017-EmploymentSummary.pdf

MrPug

Post by MrPug » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:29 pm

Checking in as well! I finalized everything a couple weeks ago.

Looking forward to meeting everyone this weekend at ASP. Is anyone going to the Baseball game tomorrow night?

abyss

Post by abyss » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:16 am

MrPug wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:29 pm
Checking in as well! I finalized everything a couple weeks ago.

Looking forward to meeting everyone this weekend at ASP. Is anyone going to the Baseball game tomorrow night?
Definitely recommend going for anyone for enjoys sports. It's one sport Vandy is actually good at. If I didn't have class I would be going.

gabylsatprep18

Post by gabylsatprep18 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:05 pm

Interstellar wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:57 pm
Interstellar wrote:
1L year was okay in terms of the work load/social life balance. There are alot of social events that take place on campus and off campus. It really just depends on the individual though. I probably took my 1st year more serious than I should've, but that's kinda of my personality. I really wanted to do well so I was kind of an introvert. But in reality, alot of my friends who would regularly go to bar review and other social events did really well too. Again, it really depends on your personality. It's definitely important to make time for fun stuff because you the first year will be tough, wherever you go. But to be honest, the Vandy environment is pretty chill for the most part. People take their school work seriously, but they also make time for other stuff.

With regards to Legal Research, that was actually one of my better classes. Some schools do Pass Fail for LRW, but at Vandy the class is two credits. The class is still graded on a curve. Some students don't take it seriously because they think it's more strategic to focus on other classes. I think that's just dumb. The class sucks because you'll have to follow your professors picky instructions about how to write the briefs/motions, but in the end, it just comes down to following instructions and putting in time. I got As both semester and I wouldn't call myself a great writer. It provided a nice bump to my GPA in the end. Also, it'll be the most helpful thing for your summer job if you work in a law-related position. So overall, it's not fun, but I thought it was fair. Take it seriously and you'll do fine.

I have found the professors at Vandy to be awesome for the most part. Not all the 1Ls felt that way about the first year professors though. With the smaller class sizes, they really are accessible outside of class. Also, when it came time to studying for exams, almost all my professors provided plenty of old exams and model answers to study with, which for me was very helpful. A few of the 1L professors do graded quizzes. They such when you are studying for them, but in the end, you'll be better off because they force you to stay on top of the reading. They're also really cool about serving as references for resumes and providing LoRs if you're interested in clerking. To be fair, most of the above is probably true at the other top schools.
Thank you for all the info! I just deposited at Vandy and reading this thread has helped me with so many questions! How accessible were resources to prepare for exam on your 1L year? (I know you mentioned some professors handed out previous exams, is that pretty common?). Also, what do you think about "The Life of the Law"?

Interstellar

Post by Interstellar » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:16 pm

gabylsatprep18 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:05 pm
Interstellar wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:57 pm
Interstellar wrote:

Thank you for all the info! I just deposited at Vandy and reading this thread has helped me with so many questions! How accessible were resources to prepare for exam on your 1L year? (I know you mentioned some professors handed out previous exams, is that pretty common?). Also, what do you think about "The Life of the Law"?
I just realized how many typos were in my previous post :shock: .

You'll generally have plenty of resources to study with. For outlines, the upperclassmen were extremely helpful in getting me outlines and access to the journal outline banks. And yes, most professors are cool about sharing previous exams/model answers. Additionally, professors hold office hours and review sessions which help in getting questions answered outside of class.

Life of the Law is really just a week long "intro to law school" class. It's very chill and is supposed to help you get acclimated with how law school classes work. I can't really vouch for its effectiveness tbh, but I did enjoy it because I got to seem some 1Ls who were not in my section and had professors that I otherwise would not have interacted with. There's a book to read, but I definitely wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your summer and read it a day or two before school starts.

Let me know if you have any other Qs. I'm not sure if you've made a final decision or just deposited. Either way, congrats!

sartorial splendor

Post by sartorial splendor » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:44 am

Has anyone seen the Roommate Matching list yet? It's getting close to that time.....

karenwalkerchicago

Post by karenwalkerchicago » Tue May 01, 2018 12:03 pm

Looking forward to seeing you all in Nashville in the fall! :)

fmlx5000

Post by fmlx5000 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:48 pm

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:44 am
Has anyone seen the Roommate Matching list yet? It's getting close to that time.....
Do you have to sign up for that or do they just send it to you?

fmlx5000

Post by fmlx5000 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:35 pm

This is a stupid question, but I'm from Seattle so true stereotypes dictate that I must know: What Coffee chain supplies Vanderbilt's campus?