WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Where are you thinking you might live?

U-City/The Loop
2
12%
Clayton
1
6%
CWE
7
41%
Skinker-DeBaliviere
5
29%
Downtown
0
No votes
Other
1
6%
No idea
1
6%
 
Total votes: 17

SportsAndMindcrack
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:22 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by SportsAndMindcrack » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:49 pm

lawshark1 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:44 pm
Does WashU provide a travel stipend for ASD?
As already said, $250, but you seem to have to ask for it.

BigJohn
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:27 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by BigJohn » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:25 pm

SportsAndMindcrack wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:10 pm
DaydreamNation wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:02 pm
BigJohn wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:18 pm
Where is everyone staying for the ASD?
Clayton Plaza Hotel
Same! LSL Meetup at The Plaza?

(Also, WashU booked this for me for BigJohn's information).
Staying there as well on Thurs/ Fri. I'm up for an LSL meetup.

legallybrown7
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:30 pm

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by legallybrown7 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:08 pm

DaydreamNation wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:19 pm
SportsAndMindcrack wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:10 pm
DaydreamNation wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:02 pm
BigJohn wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:18 pm
Where is everyone staying for the ASD?
Clayton Plaza Hotel
Same! LSL Meetup at The Plaza?

(Also, WashU booked this for me for BigJohn's information).
It's on! I spoke with someone at the hotel and they mentioned that they're very full these days so I'd imagine we will not be the only prospective WashUers staying there!

I will also be there!

User avatar
DaydreamNation
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:33 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by DaydreamNation » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:51 pm

legallybrown7 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:08 pm
DaydreamNation wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:19 pm
SportsAndMindcrack wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:10 pm
DaydreamNation wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:02 pm
BigJohn wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:18 pm
Where is everyone staying for the ASD?
Clayton Plaza Hotel
Same! LSL Meetup at The Plaza?

(Also, WashU booked this for me for BigJohn's information).
It's on! I spoke with someone at the hotel and they mentioned that they're very full these days so I'd imagine we will not be the only prospective WashUers staying there!

I will also be there!
Looks like we'll have a solid crew! When is everyone arriving/departing?

SportsAndMindcrack
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:22 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by SportsAndMindcrack » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:02 am

DaydreamNation wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:51 pm
legallybrown7 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:08 pm
DaydreamNation wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:19 pm
SportsAndMindcrack wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:10 pm
DaydreamNation wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:02 pm
BigJohn wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:18 pm
Where is everyone staying for the ASD?
Clayton Plaza Hotel
Same! LSL Meetup at The Plaza?

(Also, WashU booked this for me for BigJohn's information).
It's on! I spoke with someone at the hotel and they mentioned that they're very full these days so I'd imagine we will not be the only prospective WashUers staying there!

I will also be there!
Looks like we'll have a solid crew! When is everyone arriving/departing?
I should be arriving Thursday evening (like, around 7 or 8) and leaving Saturday.

User avatar
DaydreamNation
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:33 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by DaydreamNation » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:34 am

SportsAndMindcrack wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:02 am
I should be arriving Thursday evening (like, around 7 or 8) and leaving Saturday.
Cool. I am planning on getting there early to mid afternoon on Thursday, and then leaving Saturday evening/night, whenever the Cardinals game is over and I can escape from downtown! :D

User avatar
sev
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:43 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by sev » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:20 pm

Anyone coming in this weekend? I'll be there Thursday and possibly Friday (couldn't make ASW).

User avatar
par283
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:25 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by par283 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:14 pm

I'm missing ASW but I think I'm gonna put my deposit down this week. Where are people thinking of living? CWE looks awesome, and I'll have my car, so I'm thinking somewhere in that area but curious what everyone's thoughts are.

User avatar
DaydreamNation
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:33 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by DaydreamNation » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:08 am

par283 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:14 pm
I'm missing ASW but I think I'm gonna put my deposit down this week. Where are people thinking of living? CWE looks awesome, and I'll have my car, so I'm thinking somewhere in that area but curious what everyone's thoughts are.
Congrats on your decision! Unless something goes way wrong at ASW I will probably be depositing next week as well, and barring last-minute waitlist action I'll be in STL this fall.

CWE looks nice to me too but it's a bit more pricey than other nearby neighborhoods. (Yes nothing in STL is actually that expensive but I'd still like to keep CoL loans down as much as possible.) I'm planning on spending some time Thurs/Sat this week driving around neighborhoods to get a feel of what seems right, so I'd be happy to post thoughts in here after that. As far as driving to campus, I'll have a car too but I have heard on-campus parking is not guaranteed and off-campus parking can be a chore so I'm hesitant to rely on that.

User avatar
par283
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:25 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by par283 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:36 am

DaydreamNation wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:08 am
par283 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:14 pm
I'm missing ASW but I think I'm gonna put my deposit down this week. Where are people thinking of living? CWE looks awesome, and I'll have my car, so I'm thinking somewhere in that area but curious what everyone's thoughts are.
Congrats on your decision! Unless something goes way wrong at ASW I will probably be depositing next week as well, and barring last-minute waitlist action I'll be in STL this fall.

CWE looks nice to me too but it's a bit more pricey than other nearby neighborhoods. (Yes nothing in STL is actually that expensive but I'd still like to keep CoL loans down as much as possible.) I'm planning on spending some time Thurs/Sat this week driving around neighborhoods to get a feel of what seems right, so I'd be happy to post thoughts in here after that. As far as driving to campus, I'll have a car too but I have heard on-campus parking is not guaranteed and off-campus parking can be a chore so I'm hesitant to rely on that.

Let me know how your visit goes! I'm gonna ride the waitlist at GULC, but I'll most likely be at WashU come August (so as per usual, we're in a similar spot, I feel like we've been cycle twins this whole year, lol). I'm willing to pay for the parking pass, and my understanding is that its not guaranteed but most students get it. I like to study in the library versus my apartment, and I don't want to stress about taking public transit or walking late at night. I think you can get a studio for like 700-950, one bedroom around 900-1100 and rent can be closer to 600-750 if you get a two bedroom in CWE. I like the idea of being able to walk to bars, resturants and things like that but definitely let me know your take on neighborhoods when you visit!

SportsAndMindcrack
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:22 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by SportsAndMindcrack » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:49 pm

par283 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:14 pm
I'm missing ASW but I think I'm gonna put my deposit down this week. Where are people thinking of living? CWE looks awesome, and I'll have my car, so I'm thinking somewhere in that area but curious what everyone's thoughts are.
I'm looking around UCity, Debaliviere, and Wydown for living, personally.

lawshark1
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by lawshark1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:32 pm

Anyone else having trouble paying a deposit? The deposit screen is only give me two options: 1. Decline offer of admission 2. Request deferral. It also has this strange note that says the deadline for submitting tuition deposits has passed.

SportsAndMindcrack
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:22 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by SportsAndMindcrack » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:27 am

lawshark1 wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:32 pm
Anyone else having trouble paying a deposit? The deposit screen is only give me two options: 1. Decline offer of admission 2. Request deferral. It also has this strange note that says the deadline for submitting tuition deposits has passed.
Just checked the site. I also am getting the message. Should probably call or email tomorrow. The bolded info at the top lists April 9 as first deposit deadline.

User avatar
sev
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:43 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by sev » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:41 am

Everyone should go up to the sixth floor of the library. It's an awesome view.

SportsAndMindcrack
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:22 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by SportsAndMindcrack » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:36 pm

The seat deposit seems to be working again. Wonder why it stopped earlier...

Also, anyone have any idea where they're living yet? That's the next great challenge for me.

User avatar
par283
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:25 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by par283 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:24 am

SportsAndMindcrack wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:36 pm
The seat deposit seems to be working again. Wonder why it stopped earlier...

Also, anyone have any idea where they're living yet? That's the next great challenge for me.
I'm thinking either CWE or Debaliviere. What's everyone's thoughts on a roommate? COL seems fairly reasonable, but if I shared an apartment I could get a lot more for my money.

SportsAndMindcrack
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:22 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by SportsAndMindcrack » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:57 am

par283 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:24 am
SportsAndMindcrack wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:36 pm
The seat deposit seems to be working again. Wonder why it stopped earlier...

Also, anyone have any idea where they're living yet? That's the next great challenge for me.
I'm thinking either CWE or Debaliviere. What's everyone's thoughts on a roommate? COL seems fairly reasonable, but if I shared an apartment I could get a lot more for my money.
Western CWE, Debalieviere, DeMun, and southernDemun, have been my search area. I've been thinking about living alone 1L just to avoid the stress of having a roommate I've never met before then maybe moving in with someone for 2L and 3L.

alexthom2018
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:45 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by alexthom2018 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:33 pm

I'll be living on the Loop. I used Quadrangle, the universities off campus housing service. You basically get your own realtor that helps you find an apartment with your given criteria, or close to it. My partner and I were able to find an apartment in less than two weeks that basically had everything we wanted at a good price and we were able to put the security deposit down for August already.... No summer headaches for us.

Here the link to the Quadrangle site:

https://quadrangle.wustl.edu/

User avatar
par283
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:25 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by par283 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:43 pm

What was everyone's impression of ASW? I visited back in February so I wasn't able to make it. Are people ready to put deposit deadlines down?

User avatar
DaydreamNation
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:33 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by DaydreamNation » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:59 pm

Deposited!

User avatar
DaydreamNation
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:33 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by DaydreamNation » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:20 am

New poll plus employment stats in the OP for those of us still hanging around post-deposit deadline!

User avatar
Octavius
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by Octavius » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:32 am

Definitely pretty happy to see those employment stats, makes me feel better about having to spend some time in St. Louis.

User avatar
howdystopian
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:19 pm

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by howdystopian » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:51 pm

Officially deposited with the usual caveat of waitlists.

Would love any more neighborhood impressions. My visit in February was pretty abbreviated and I'm thinking about making another trip to STL in the early summer to do a close look. The Loop seems like it wouldn't be bad, but it definitely has a strong "student" vibe.

User avatar
par283
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:25 am

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by par283 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:23 pm

howdystopian wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:51 pm
Officially deposited with the usual caveat of waitlists.

Would love any more neighborhood impressions. My visit in February was pretty abbreviated and I'm thinking about making another trip to STL in the early summer to do a close look. The Loop seems like it wouldn't be bad, but it definitely has a strong "student" vibe.
Congrats! I'm also planning a more detailed housing trip sometime in June or July. I'm thinking CWE or Devaliviere. Both seem less student and more adult, but still with a mix of bars and things to do.

User avatar
Chilhowie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: WashU c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by Chilhowie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:46 pm

HI all!

I deposited yesterday as well (in the same boat as everyone with some waitlists etc.), but I'm excited to get to know you all.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests