Michigan Law c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

What super section are you?

EFGH
33%
IJKL
17%
MNOP
50%
QRST
No votes

Total votes: 12

gymnastsplits

Re: Michigan Law c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by gymnastsplits » Wed May 09, 2018 3:19 pm

ekiki wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:44 pm
gymnastsplits wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:40 pm
I got the email this morning saying that I was on the waitlist for lawyer's club. Seeing as how Michigan is so overcommitted they're asking K-JDs to defer, I doubt people will be giving up their leases.

Merp.

I did a search and seemed like people were lukewarm on Munger in this thread, any new thoughts? I haven't (and probably won't) be able to visit before I officially start school. Originally I wanted to rent my own apartment, but now I'm really liking the convenience of a supershort commute to classes.
Hey, you can still find an apt that’s close to the law quad. I found one that’s a 10 min walk! I would check out apps again. :)
Thanks ekiki! I have started looking, but then I realized that dorms have another thing going for them - they're fully furnished. I'm in San Francisco and I'm really not wanting to move a ton of furniture (or have to buy once I get to AA) so that's why I was leaning towards Munger :) Have you seen it? What were your thoughts?

ekiki

Post by ekiki » Wed May 09, 2018 3:32 pm

gymnastsplits wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:19 pm
ekiki wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:44 pm
gymnastsplits wrote:
I got the email this morning saying that I was on the waitlist for lawyer's club. Seeing as how Michigan is so overcommitted they're asking K-JDs to defer, I doubt people will be giving up their leases.

Merp.

I did a search and seemed like people were lukewarm on Munger in this thread, any new thoughts? I haven't (and probably won't) be able to visit before I officially start school. Originally I wanted to rent my own apartment, but now I'm really liking the convenience of a supershort commute to classes.
Hey, you can still find an apt that’s close to the law quad. I found one that’s a 10 min walk! I would check out apps again. :)
Thanks ekiki! I have started looking, but then I realized that dorms have another thing going for them - they're fully furnished. I'm in San Francisco and I'm really not wanting to move a ton of furniture (or have to buy once I get to AA) so that's why I was leaning towards Munger :) Have you seen it? What were your thoughts?
That makes sense! Just so you know, most houses are actually furnished so that part isn’t an issue. I haven’t personally seen munger but I know an international student who lived there and he liked it! No windows in the rooms, but you’ll be spending most of the time I. The law library anyway!

gymnastsplits

Post by gymnastsplits » Wed May 09, 2018 3:35 pm

ekiki wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:32 pm
That makes sense! Just so you know, most houses are actually furnished so that part isn’t an issue. I haven’t personally seen munger but I know an international student who lived there and he liked it! No windows in the rooms, but you’ll be spending most of the time I. The law library anyway!
:shock: wot, furnished?!

How about apartments? I was looking at one of the newer complexes? Doesn't seem like they were furnished but maybe that's because I went to the official site and not Craigslist...

Also, thanks for answering all my questions a la "the ekiki housing hotline" :) I really appreciate it

ekiki

Post by ekiki » Wed May 09, 2018 3:41 pm

gymnastsplits wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:35 pm
ekiki wrote:

How about apartments? I was looking at one of the newer complexes? Doesn't seem like they were furnished but maybe that's because I went to the official site and not Craigslist...

Also, thanks for answering all my questions a la "the ekiki housing hotline" :) I really appreciate it
Haha happy to help! All of the newer complexes have furnished apartments (arbor blue, landmark) and even university towers (where I lived for a year!). I would say even other apartments come furnished. My experience has been that furnished is more common than unfurnished, but also, I looked at several unfurnished apartments, and even then the landlords were willing to provide me with like a bed and frame if I didn’t have anything with me. Sometimes people moving out will also sell you their stuff if you want it.

AlbertParsons

Post by AlbertParsons » Wed May 09, 2018 4:10 pm

ekiki wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:41 pm
gymnastsplits wrote:
ekiki wrote:

Haha happy to help! All of the newer complexes have furnished apartments (arbor blue, landmark) and even university towers (where I lived for a year!). I would say even other apartments come furnished. My experience has been that furnished is more common than unfurnished, but also, I looked at several unfurnished apartments, and even then the landlords were willing to provide me with like a bed and frame if I didn’t have anything with me. Sometimes people moving out will also sell you their stuff if you want it.
I found a place with some roommates about 15-20 walk from campus. I will say that if you are renting outside of the more prominent apartment buildings it seems like a real crapshoot, especially the houses. We had a person visit some of the houses for rent and there was a varying level of condition to the places from like pretty disgusting to decent. So, take up someone to visit places that you're interested.

ekiki

Post by ekiki » Wed May 09, 2018 4:19 pm

AlbertParsons wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:10 pm
ekiki wrote:
gymnastsplits wrote:
ekiki wrote:

I found a place with some roommates about 15-20 walk from campus. I will say that if you are renting outside of the more prominent apartment buildings it seems like a real crapshoot, especially the houses. We had a person visit some of the houses for rent and there was a varying level of condition to the places from like pretty disgusting to decent. So, take up someone to visit places that you're interested.
I volunteer as tribute!!! Lol in all seriousness though I’m happy to looo at places since I’m local and it’s no trouble

ChutzpahSaxa15

Post by ChutzpahSaxa15 » Wed May 09, 2018 5:27 pm

gymnastsplits wrote:

Merp.

I will probably be giving up my lease! On the off-campus hunt now.

gymnastsplits

Post by gymnastsplits » Wed May 09, 2018 5:37 pm

ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:27 pm
gymnastsplits wrote:

Merp.

Oh really?! Why is that?

AlbertParsons

Post by AlbertParsons » Wed May 09, 2018 5:42 pm

ekiki wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:19 pm
AlbertParsons wrote:
ekiki wrote:
gymnastsplits wrote:
ekiki wrote:

I volunteer as tribute!!! Lol in all seriousness though I’m happy to looo at places since I’m local and it’s no trouble
https://media.giphy.com/media/TvFCUSiRUfeIU/giphy.gif

Buy this man/woman a beer! You are mad nice fam

AlbertParsons

Post by AlbertParsons » Wed May 09, 2018 5:44 pm

Are there any sample budgets lying around from TLS or that have been posted here? Also, can anyone give any guidance on how to put together a business wardrobe for men? I've worn a suit like once in the last 6 years

ekiki

Post by ekiki » Wed May 09, 2018 7:21 pm

AlbertParsons wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:42 pm
ekiki wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:19 pm
AlbertParsons wrote:
ekiki wrote:
gymnastsplits wrote:
ekiki wrote:

https://media.giphy.com/media/TvFCUSiRUfeIU/giphy.gif

Buy this man/woman a beer! You are mad nice fam
Hahaha we can all get beer when y’all get to aa 😁

ChutzpahSaxa15

Post by ChutzpahSaxa15 » Thu May 10, 2018 2:27 am

gymnastsplits wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:37 pm
ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:27 pm
gymnastsplits wrote:

Merp.

Oh really?! Why is that?
Because I decided that I'd rather bring my dog with me and live with a good friend who is starting at the ed school. The idea of leaving my dog with my parents was kind of soul crushing.

Walliums

Post by Walliums » Sat May 12, 2018 2:31 am

AlbertParsons wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:44 pm
Are there any sample budgets lying around from TLS or that have been posted here? Also, can anyone give any guidance on how to put together a business wardrobe for men? I've worn a suit like once in the last 6 years
I don’t know of any off the top of my head but two things: samples should be fairly easy to put together, and secondly I heard that you can make an appointment with finaid and they will help you draft a budget.

The business wardrobe is a good question and one I can likely give more detailed advice on, but here are some basics (I’m thinking more of what you are going to need during 1L rather than the summer job):

-Go for quality over quantity. Look for sales, since you have the time!
-I think it would be prudent to have at least two suits in two different colors. Good basic colors are navy, black, or grey. The shade of grey is your choice but I personally think the darker ones look better.
-You must get your suits tailored. This shouldn’t cost too much and the trick is to shop around for a great tailor. I am sure there are some recommended ones in Ann Arbor that we can ask 2Ls and 3Ls for.
-Get a few well-fitting white dress shirts to start. Maybe a light blue one as well

On Reddit there is a great subreddit called r/malefashionadvice. They have some guides and you can do some searching on there as well.

AlbertParsons

Post by AlbertParsons » Sat May 12, 2018 4:20 pm

Damn that was a really informative post. Thanks for that! If we were on Reddit I'd give you all the gold

Post by 50505050505050 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:07 am

For those of you who are in AA for the summer, we should grab lunch or a drink

ekiki

Post by ekiki » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:57 pm

50505050505050 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:07 am
Me! Anyone else??

Demos9

Post by Demos9 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:29 pm

ekiki wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:57 pm
50505050505050 wrote:
Me! Anyone else??
I'll be moving up in July!

ekiki

Post by ekiki » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:40 pm

Demos9 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:29 pm
ekiki wrote:
50505050505050 wrote:
Me! Anyone else??
Awesome! We could do it then!

Post by 50505050505050 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:58 am

ekiki wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:40 pm
Demos9 wrote:
ekiki wrote:
50505050505050 wrote:
Me! Anyone else??
I’m down for July too!

Demos9

Post by Demos9 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:07 pm

50505050505050 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:58 am
ekiki wrote:
Demos9 wrote:
ekiki wrote:
50505050505050 wrote:
Me! Anyone else??
I’m down for July too!
Is there good brunch anywhere? Maybe Sunday brunch on the 15th?

blueapple

Post by blueapple » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:48 am

Demos9 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:07 pm
50505050505050 wrote:
ekiki wrote:
Demos9 wrote:
ekiki wrote:
50505050505050 wrote:
Me! Anyone else??
I’m down for July too!
Sava's, Afternoon Delight, Avalon, and Aventura are all good (different) brunch options. Sava's Sunday brunch is a buffet.

ekiki

Post by ekiki » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:37 am

blueapple wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:48 am
Demos9 wrote:
50505050505050 wrote:
ekiki wrote:
Demos9 wrote:
ekiki wrote:
50505050505050 wrote:
Me! Anyone else??
I’m down for July too!
Sava's, Afternoon Delight, Avalon, and Aventura are all good (different) brunch options. Sava's Sunday brunch is a buffet.
I’ll be out of town then :( but y’all have fun!

Demos9

Post by Demos9 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:00 pm

ekiki wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:37 am
blueapple wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:48 am
Demos9 wrote:
50505050505050 wrote:
ekiki wrote:
Demos9 wrote:
ekiki wrote:
50505050505050 wrote:
Me! Anyone else??
I’m down for July too!
I’ll be out of town then :( but y’all have fun!
Any of those sound awesome! Out of curiosity, are people also joining the once being planned in the admitted student FB group? I know I've already commented on that one too haha.

gymnastsplits

Post by gymnastsplits » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Housing question - I'm looking into one of the "new" off-campus apartments (Zaragon, Sterling Arbor Blu, The Yard, Varsity, 411 Lofts, Foundry, Six11) and I'm super confused - I feel like I'm missing something.

When they list the prices for those gigantic units (like 5 BR/BA or 6 BR/BA), the price is per person right? So the total cost of the unit would be $xxxx * 6 for a 6 BR? And when they list the prices for a double occupancy, same deal right? (If price is $1000 for double occupancy then the total cost of the unit would be $2000 but each resident pays $1000). Are people expected to be assigned roommates? I don't get the point of doing it like this, not sure if I'm misunderstanding.

It might just be a cultural/location thing. I'm from San Francisco and the real estate market is crazy here, and it's not a college town like Ann Arbor is. A 5 BR/BA apartment would basically be Trump's penthouse. Apartments are usually 3 bedrooms max lol. And real estate companies don't provide split pricing - they give you the total cost of the unit and you can split it between however many people you want.

Lastly, any negatives about living in these new units? Should I go to Munger instead? The furthest one is a 11 minute walk to the law school per Google Maps, which I figure is okay but maybe that's far in the dead of winter when there's a snowstorm?

gymnastsplits

Post by gymnastsplits » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:24 pm

Whoops. Realized I should've posted my question in the current students thread. I'll re-post there. Sorry about that!