Michigan Law c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

What super section are you?

EFGH
33%
IJKL
17%
MNOP
50%
QRST
No votes

Total votes: 12

Littlewing67

Re: Michigan Law c/o 2021 (Admitted Students)

Post by Littlewing67 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:10 pm

AlbertParsons wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:52 am
Littlewing67 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:49 am
ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:31 pm
Xpost with Reddit: what are people thinking of doing for housing? Did anyone else apply to Phid?
I'm hoping to get LC and if not I guess I'll have to start looking, but I prefer to live in a Studio/1 br TBH
I was thinking of living off campus to save that $$$. LC is 12.5k-14k for 8 months and I feel like I can live off campus for 8kish. Am I too hardcore in my penny pinching? Is living in the LC that great first year? This damn website has made me too debt adverse sometimes smh... :lol:
If we are talking about 1br/studios I actually calculated the lawyers club to be cheaper. You are only paying the lawyers club fee for the 8 months you’re in school and utilities are included and a meal plan. That’s 13,500 for the year. Now compare some of the cheapest apartments I’ve found which are like $900 if you’re lucky x 12 = 10,800 not including utilities or at least not all the utilities. Now heat gets expensive especially in the winter and on top of it food. The difference for me makes the lawyers club the smarter option. It’s closer too so no need to walk.

ekiki

Post by ekiki » Tue May 01, 2018 1:20 pm

Littlewing67 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:10 pm
AlbertParsons wrote:
Littlewing67 wrote:
ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:
Xpost with Reddit: what are people thinking of doing for housing? Did anyone else apply to Phid?
I'm hoping to get LC and if not I guess I'll have to start looking, but I prefer to live in a Studio/1 br TBH
I was thinking of living off campus to save that $$$. LC is 12.5k-14k for 8 months and I feel like I can live off campus for 8kish. Am I too hardcore in my penny pinching? Is living in the LC that great first year? This damn website has made me too debt adverse sometimes smh... :lol:
If we are talking about 1br/studios I actually calculated the lawyers club to be cheaper. You are only paying the lawyers club fee for the 8 months you’re in school and utilities are included and a meal plan. That’s 13,500 for the year. Now compare some of the cheapest apartments I’ve found which are like $900 if you’re lucky x 12 = 10,800 not including utilities or at least not all the utilities. Now heat gets expensive especially in the winter and on top of it food. The difference for me makes the lawyers club the smarter option. It’s closer too so no need to walk.
Yeah I think the calculus is different for everyone. If you’re willing to live in a two bedroom it can be way cheaper (I found an apt within walking difference for less than $700 per person with heat and water included). It’s different from everyone!

AlbertParsons

Post by AlbertParsons » Tue May 01, 2018 3:13 pm

ekiki wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:20 pm
Littlewing67 wrote:
AlbertParsons wrote:
Littlewing67 wrote:
ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:
Yeah I think the calculus is different for everyone. If you’re willing to live in a two bedroom it can be way cheaper (I found an apt within walking difference for less than $700 per person with heat and water included). It’s different from everyone!
Yeah I'm trying to rent for around 700 including utilities which might be doable in some of the bigger homes (4 bedroom plus) and hoping that my hungry ass can stick to around a $200-300 meal budget. Also the vegan/vegetarian options in the LC were pretty underwhelming. I mean I guess I could eat from the salad bar for a year :(

ekiki

Post by ekiki » Tue May 01, 2018 3:22 pm

AlbertParsons wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:13 pm
ekiki wrote:
Littlewing67 wrote:
AlbertParsons wrote:
Littlewing67 wrote:
ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:
Yeah I'm trying to rent for around 700 including utilities which might be doable in some of the bigger homes (4 bedroom plus) and hoping that my hungry ass can stick to around a $200-300 meal budget. Also the vegan/vegetarian options in the LC were pretty underwhelming. I mean I guess I could eat from the salad bar for a year :(
There’s a google docs page that Michigan students started for money saving tips! It was covered on MLive, so I’m sure you can find it online for tips:)

Littlewing67

Post by Littlewing67 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:58 pm

AlbertParsons wrote:
ekiki wrote:
Littlewing67 wrote:
AlbertParsons wrote:
Littlewing67 wrote:
ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:
Ahh yes if you can do that then that works. I personally couldn't find any moderatly close 1BR/Studios for anything really less than ~$900 but obviously if you are looking for more roommates it will be cheaper.

Are you a vegan ?!?!? I am, and a little worried about the meal plan but I heard they have tofu and veggies so that should be fine.

AlbertParsons

Post by AlbertParsons » Tue May 01, 2018 5:19 pm

Littlewing67 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:58 pm
AlbertParsons wrote:
ekiki wrote:
Littlewing67 wrote:
AlbertParsons wrote:
Littlewing67 wrote:
ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:
Ahh yes if you can do that then that works. I personally couldn't find any moderatly close 1BR/Studios for anything really less than ~$900 but obviously if you are looking for more roommates it will be cheaper.

Are you a vegan ?!?!? I am, and a little worried about the meal plan but I heard they have tofu and veggies so that should be fine.
Mostly. I try to only eat meat for one meal a week. (have ulcerative colitis and vegan diet helps a lot to keep symptoms in check) and can only go off what I saw at ASW and from what the tour guide told us. If you can live on the salad bar then kudos to you but I was told that they struggle to have vegan options. On the day I visited they had vegetarian stuff but once you douse it in cheese I don't even want to call it that :lol: my plan is lots of oats, quinoa, lentils/other beans and veggies when I can swing by the market

AlbertParsons

Post by AlbertParsons » Tue May 01, 2018 6:09 pm

ekiki wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:22 pm
AlbertParsons wrote:
ekiki wrote:
Littlewing67 wrote:
AlbertParsons wrote:
Littlewing67 wrote:
ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:
There’s a google docs page that Michigan students started for money saving tips! It was covered on MLive, so I’m sure you can find it online for tips:)
I think this is what you were referring to. I'm posting it here in case folks find it useful for budgeting. There are also some reviews of property management companies/leasing companies as folks search for housing.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ou- ... p=drivesdk

ChutzpahSaxa15

Post by ChutzpahSaxa15 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:57 pm

Keep in mind that if you get off-campus housing, it's going to be difficult to find a summer sublet. So a lot of folks just budget that they'll eat rent for the summer.

Demos9

Post by Demos9 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:13 pm

Because what's another few thousand really?? XD XD

thuswindburn

Post by thuswindburn » Wed May 02, 2018 9:37 am

Paid both deposits a few weeks ago, and my wife and I got in line for an apartment. I can’t wait for August and the move up to AA!

Anyone else get their shirts? I like it!

Oh also, so excited to live by a Trader Joe’s again 😍

ekiki

Post by ekiki » Thu May 03, 2018 3:54 pm

Just saw on reddit that they sent out an email to K-Jds giving them the option to defer for more WE. Is this normal? They said they have a full cohort on their website. Wondering what this means for us?

Post by 50505050505050 » Fri May 04, 2018 3:41 am

ekiki wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 3:54 pm
Just saw on reddit that they sent out an email to K-Jds giving them the option to defer for more WE. Is this normal? They said they have a full cohort on their website. Wondering what this means for us?
My impression was that they underestimated the amount of people that would deposit and they’re trying to get deferrals in order to balance out their incoming class. I guess it’s possible that they see k-jds as a group more likely to defer and are hoping that deferrals will help get their commitments for this year closer to what they were anticipating.
I guess only time will tell, but Id bet that they’ll send out something similar after the second round of deposits too, if they are overcommitted/have a larger class size than expected.
I think that if you’re a k-jd and were bent on going in the fall anyways, then this email shouldn’t really affect you. But if you’re super bent on going to Umich law, but not this fall, then maybe a deferral makes sense(?) Up to you

trkmaniak00

Post by trkmaniak00 » Fri May 04, 2018 3:47 pm

FYI, I got my lawyers club lease via my Michigan email today so if you haven’t been checking that one, it’s probably time to start!

Littlewing67

Post by Littlewing67 » Fri May 04, 2018 4:06 pm

trkmaniak00 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:47 pm
FYI, I got my lawyers club lease via my Michigan email today so if you haven’t been checking that one, it’s probably time to start!
OH I was expecting it through my regular one! omg thanks lemme check

Edit: nada oh no - when did you submit your application?

trkmaniak00

Post by trkmaniak00 » Fri May 04, 2018 5:08 pm

Littlewing67 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:06 pm
trkmaniak00 wrote:

I did it around late January or early February! I believe I had heard leases would be out by mid May so I’m assuming this is still the early end.

Demos9

Post by Demos9 » Fri May 04, 2018 5:40 pm

trkmaniak00 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:08 pm
Littlewing67 wrote:
trkmaniak00 wrote:

I did it around late January or early February! I believe I had heard leases would be out by mid May so I’m assuming this is still the early end.
Omg I did the same thing checking my regular email instead of my new student one! I was freaking out!

I've got a spot in the LC but I'm interested in trying to rent somewhere near campus that is a bit cheaper (and that I can do my own cooking) with some law students. If yall are looking for potential roommates, hit me up!

Littlewing67

Post by Littlewing67 » Sat May 05, 2018 5:28 pm

trkmaniak00 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:08 pm
Littlewing67 wrote:
trkmaniak00 wrote:

fuckkk I didn't do mine right away when I got accepted valentines day #ragrets

oldbay+boh

Post by oldbay+boh » Sun May 06, 2018 2:04 pm

What would current students say is the recommended distance from campus for 1Ls? Assume that I’m looking to meet people and be involved in campus life, but probably won’t get into the Lawyers Club. I also won’t be bringing a car. Is a little over a mile (from central campus) too far away or is that reasonable?

Littlewing67

Post by Littlewing67 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:02 pm

Oh dammit I didn’t get a lease and they doubt I’ll get for the Lawyers Club. Ughhhhh this is really screwing me over as I haven’t been looking at apartments.

ekiki

Post by ekiki » Mon May 07, 2018 2:14 pm

Littlewing67 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 2:02 pm
Oh dammit I didn’t get a lease and they doubt I’ll get for the Lawyers Club. Ughhhhh this is really screwing me over as I haven’t been looking at apartments.
There’s still plenty of places available! I would check out Craigslist and/or the group on fb. If you need help you can PM me :) I’m in town and happy to help!

Also - you may still get a lawyers club lease! I think they send out another batch after some people don’t sign their leases.

Littlewing67

Post by Littlewing67 » Mon May 07, 2018 3:30 pm

ekiki wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 2:14 pm
Littlewing67 wrote:
There’s still plenty of places available! I would check out Craigslist and/or the group on fb. If you need help you can PM me :) I’m in town and happy to help!

Also - you may still get a lawyers club lease! I think they send out another batch after some people don’t sign their leases.
I emailed them and they stated they basically retain 90% of people from the first round and there’s 40 people in front of me. The liklihood is looking slim they said :/ thanks for the help I’ll take a look after I get home from work! Maybe this is for the better tbh because you made a lot of good points about not being in the dorm. I’m just trying not to freak out.

ekiki

Post by ekiki » Mon May 07, 2018 3:50 pm

Littlewing67 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:30 pm
ekiki wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 2:14 pm
Littlewing67 wrote:

I emailed them and they stated they basically retain 90% of people from the first round and there’s 40 people in front of me. The liklihood is looking slim they said :/ thanks for the help I’ll take a look after I get home from work! Maybe this is for the better tbh because you made a lot of good points about not being in the dorm. I’m just trying not to freak out.
You’ll be fine honestly! Since it’s a college town there’s always housing and shifting around of people in terms of living situations. I’m sure you’ll still find a good place:) and like I said I’m happy to help!

Littlewing67

Post by Littlewing67 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:06 pm

Yay just signed a lease and sent a deposit! Everything worked out (hopefully) 😎 I’m actually happy to have my own kitchen and not be in the lawyer’s club. And now I can bring my car!

gymnastsplits

Post by gymnastsplits » Wed May 09, 2018 2:40 pm

I got the email this morning saying that I was on the waitlist for lawyer's club. Seeing as how Michigan is so overcommitted they're asking K-JDs to defer, I doubt people will be giving up their leases.

Merp.

I did a search and seemed like people were lukewarm on Munger in this thread, any new thoughts? I haven't (and probably won't) be able to visit before I officially start school. Originally I wanted to rent my own apartment, but now I'm really liking the convenience of a supershort commute to classes.

ekiki

Post by ekiki » Wed May 09, 2018 2:44 pm

gymnastsplits wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:40 pm
I got the email this morning saying that I was on the waitlist for lawyer's club. Seeing as how Michigan is so overcommitted they're asking K-JDs to defer, I doubt people will be giving up their leases.

Merp.

I did a search and seemed like people were lukewarm on Munger in this thread, any new thoughts? I haven't (and probably won't) be able to visit before I officially start school. Originally I wanted to rent my own apartment, but now I'm really liking the convenience of a supershort commute to classes.
Hey, you can still find an apt that’s close to the law quad. I found one that’s a 10 min walk! I would check out apps again. :)