How much do you read for classes in a typical day?

stego

How much do you read for classes in a typical day?

Post by stego » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:41 pm

Maybe keep this focused on 1L since there are more doctrinal classes then, but you can talk about 2L/3L if you want.

I just wonder because reading 50 pages of assigned reading 6 days a week doesn't sound like a lot, but it would be more than enough to keep up with all the assignments. IME it's also a lot harder than it sounds like to actually do that (like probably around 3 hours a day), but maybe I'm just lazy or a slow reader.

done

Re: How much do you read for classes in a typical day?

Post by done » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:51 pm

It willl depend on the class and prof, but figure 45 minutes to and hour for 10 pages during 1L

stego

Post by stego » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:44 pm

done wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:51 pm
It willl depend on the class and prof, but figure 45 minutes to and hour for 10 pages during 1L
But how many pages a day did you/do you actually read tho

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:54 pm

I’d say 30-50 pages was approximately the norm. Sometimes less, maybe a few times more than that.

Governor S. Cranston

Post by Governor S. Cranston » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:01 pm

This is for my second semester, my first semester classes had less pages. These times include breaks for checking emails, writing emails, going on LSL, Facebook, LinkedIn, conducting personal business online, etc.

Torts II and Property: about 25-55 pages per assignment (Torts = 1 assignment p/week, Property can be 1 or 2 p/week) @ 3 hours per assignment
Contracts II: less than 20 pages per assignment, 2 assignments p/week, not more than 2 hours per assignment
Civil Procedure II: less than 20 pages per assignment, 2 assignments p/week, not more than 2 hours per READING assignment - my CivPro2 professor also assigns two or three worksheets per assignment, which tacks on another hour or two

Then, I type out briefs for each main case. The fastest I can type out a brief is 10 minutes per brief.

I will usually zone in and out during my reading and typing, simply because of the 20, 25 minutes of work, followed by 5, 10 minutes of break theory. Keeping constantly focused isn't normal for me, and if I decide to just sit down and crank out reading or typing, I'll need a break after two or three cases depending on the length of the cases.

I'm in the top third of my class (we don't have class rank out yet), so I could improve.

Arc

Post by Arc » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:51 pm

This is really style-dependent, and the time readings take you will almost certainly continue to decrease with time :) I'd say I started out doing about five to six hours per class per week as a 1L, and as a 3L, with a similar degree of focus and comprehension, I do the same amount of work in three to four hours. Both numbers are on the very low side I would imagine, and that comes down to my approach (I neither take notes nor mark up my books while reading).

I think the most helpful thing is ultimately to know your own reading/learning style, and pay attention to what works (and what doesn't work) for you. It's really easy to end up accidentally spinning your wheels doing something that works well for other people but that might be a bad fit for you personally :)

amta

Post by amta » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:53 pm

i average about 10 pages/class meeting. so that works out to 100 pages/week. which works out to about 8-10 hours depending on how much of that is con law.

snarfing

Post by snarfing » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:45 pm

I do all the weeks reading on friday (or as much as possible) usually about 80 pages. Read from 8-11 am and then 2-6. So about 12 pages an hour

concernedparent

Post by concernedparent » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:45 pm

Approximately 30 minutes to an hour per class. More if I'm interested in the topic, 10 minutes on quimbee if I can't be bothered.

barkschool

Post by barkschool » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:40 pm

I hope OP is taking from this that 1, everyone is different and 2, someone will always read faster than you.