Class of 2021: 2L 2 Furious

finals

help
10
43%
please
13
57%
 
Total votes: 23

User avatar
Slippin’ Jimmy
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:12 am

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Slippin’ Jimmy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:53 pm

Finally got some job movement, have a few interviews through our spring OCI for midlaw SA/in house positions. Was beginning to worry I royally screwed up my applications somehow.

User avatar
Stranger
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Stranger » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:53 pm

Slippin’ Jimmy wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:53 pm
Finally got some job movement, have a few interviews through our spring OCI for midlaw SA/in house positions. Was beginning to worry I royally screwed up my applications somehow.
I did my first couple of spring OCI interviews yesterday. Got my first couple of hard rejections back today (different firms). Hopefully I can score a callback or two out of the OCI cycle.

User avatar
Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:02 am

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Mikey » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:03 am

How many apps total have you guys sent? I’ve sent out a shit ton and idk if I went overboard or not 😂

User avatar
Slippin’ Jimmy
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:12 am

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Slippin’ Jimmy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:30 am

Mikey wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:03 am
How many apps total have you guys sent? I’ve sent out a shit ton and idk if I went overboard or not 😂
probably 20-ish? Have several more I'll be sending in the next couple of days though.

User avatar
Stranger
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Stranger » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:36 am

Slippin’ Jimmy wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:30 am
Mikey wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:03 am
How many apps total have you guys sent? I’ve sent out a shit ton and idk if I went overboard or not 😂
probably 20-ish? Have several more I'll be sending in the next couple of days though.
I'm in a similar position.

User avatar
Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:02 am

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Mikey » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:44 pm

in total with big firms, small/mid firms, PI, gov, and in-house... I've sent about ~70 apps. most are big firm diversity stuff

am i crazy or just trying to see if someone bites?

User avatar
ntp
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:47 am

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by ntp » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:46 pm

I've applied to 11, lol. But no one wants me so far :lol:

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:45 am
Contact:

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Platopus » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:32 pm

Mikey wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:03 am
How many apps total have you guys sent? I’ve sent out a shit ton and idk if I went overboard or not 😂
Ive applied to 7 places, but been extremely focused on just in-house gigs. Got a final round interview so Im really hoping I can stop worrying soon

User avatar
Littlewing67
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:03 pm

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Littlewing67 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:49 pm

Accepted a public interest position today and I am so excited! The hard part though is that it is in a major city I don't live in and Michigan only gives you so much money for the summer. :cry:

User avatar
LSNlife
Posts: 369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:35 am

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by LSNlife » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:19 pm

Littlewing67 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:49 pm
Accepted a public interest position today and I am so excited! The hard part though is that it is in a major city I don't live in and Michigan only gives you so much money for the summer. :cry:
Congrats!!! That’s absolutely amazing so take pride in your success!

LawSSS2
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:47 pm

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by LawSSS2 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:56 pm

I've done like 40, a few bites/in-process on some jobs, but there are still more places I want to apply. Never ends.

User avatar
Littlewing67
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:03 pm

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Littlewing67 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:56 pm

LSNlife wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:19 pm
Littlewing67 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:49 pm
Accepted a public interest position today and I am so excited! The hard part though is that it is in a major city I don't live in and Michigan only gives you so much money for the summer. :cry:
Congrats!!! That’s absolutely amazing so take pride in your success!
Thank you! I am very very excited. I will be doing civil rights litigation! Time to go search some outside summer funding options tho :(

Also I applied to something like ~60+ public interest orgs

User avatar
Stranger
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Stranger » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:05 am

I discovered today that the all genders bathroom in the quiet area of the library has a couch (I don't frequent the quiet area often). If I ever need a 2 AM cry at the law school, I think that may be a winning location for it.

User avatar
Rowdy
Posts: 2939
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:14 am

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Rowdy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:39 am

Stranger wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:05 am
I discovered today that the all genders bathroom in the quiet area of the library has a couch (I don't frequent the quiet area often). If I ever need a 2 AM cry at the law school, I think that may be a winning location for it.
There, there buddy. We all need a toilet couch cry every now and then.

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:45 am
Contact:

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Platopus » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:43 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/us/p ... kagan.html

Found this interesting. Apparently Elena Kagan's first two grades from Harvard Law were a B- and a B. So if anyone is discouraged by a lackluster 1st semester's grades, I guess there is still hope.

User avatar
Experiment626
Moderator
Posts: 608
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:58 pm

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Experiment626 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:57 am

Mikey wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:03 am
How many apps total have you guys sent? I’ve sent out a shit ton and idk if I went overboard or not 😂
Zero.

Dat evening student and already working full-time during summer associate hours life... Fingers crossed I can get work to let me do an internal detail to an office that will let me do legal intern work over the summer.

User avatar
Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:02 am

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Mikey » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:07 pm

Platopus wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:43 pm
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/us/p ... kagan.html

Found this interesting. Apparently Elena Kagan's first two grades from Harvard Law were a B- and a B. So if anyone is discouraged by a lackluster 1st semester's grades, I guess there is still hope.
LITTTTTTTT

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:45 am
Contact:

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Platopus » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:08 pm

Just got an offer for my ideal summer position! In-house at a Fortune 500 not even 20 minutes from my parent’s house. Never thought Id be so excited to be moving back into my childhood home at 26

User avatar
Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:02 am

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Mikey » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:01 pm

Congrats, Platopus!!!! So exciting!

Just had a dank interview for an in-house position. It would be super exciting to get it.

Why'd you decide to gun for in-house, if I may ask? DM if you want, I'm just really curious!

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:45 am
Contact:

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Platopus » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:51 pm

Mikey wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:01 pm
Congrats, Platopus!!!! So exciting!

Just had a dank interview for an in-house position. It would be super exciting to get it.

Why'd you decide to gun for in-house, if I may ask? DM if you want, I'm just really curious!
Cause as a white guy with median grades, 1L SA is off the table, and it would be nice to get paid. Plus I feel like everyone else does either law clerking for a judge or some non-profit work, neither of which really appeals to me. I have a strong inclination I want to do transactional/corporate work in the long run, so i figured it’d be nice to have some practical experience to talk about at OCI.

User avatar
Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:02 am

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Mikey » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:22 pm

Platopus wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:51 pm
Mikey wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:01 pm
Congrats, Platopus!!!! So exciting!

Just had a dank interview for an in-house position. It would be super exciting to get it.

Why'd you decide to gun for in-house, if I may ask? DM if you want, I'm just really curious!
Cause as a white guy with median grades, 1L SA is off the table, and it would be nice to get paid. Plus I feel like everyone else does either law clerking for a judge or some non-profit work, neither of which really appeals to me. I have a strong inclination I want to do transactional/corporate work in the long run, so i figured it’d be nice to have some practical experience to talk about at OCI.
I see. Word, similar to why I'd like to do in-house. I think in-house is like super dope, tbh.

User avatar
Stranger
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Stranger » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:42 pm

Platopus wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:51 pm
Mikey wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:01 pm
Congrats, Platopus!!!! So exciting!

Just had a dank interview for an in-house position. It would be super exciting to get it.

Why'd you decide to gun for in-house, if I may ask? DM if you want, I'm just really curious!
Cause as a white guy with median grades, 1L SA is off the table, and it would be nice to get paid. Plus I feel like everyone else does either law clerking for a judge or some non-profit work, neither of which really appeals to me. I have a strong inclination I want to do transactional/corporate work in the long run, so i figured it’d be nice to have some practical experience to talk about at OCI.
As a white guy only pulling top 30% at W&L, I'm not seeing SA's as off the table - I've got a callback on Monday for one. I think it's a matter of which regions you're interested in working in, because Alabama, West Virginia, and the Southeast in general have seemed pretty open to folks like me at W&L, and I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have a softer cut line at a t13.

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:45 am
Contact:

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Platopus » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:49 pm

Stranger wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:42 pm
Platopus wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:51 pm
Mikey wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:01 pm
Congrats, Platopus!!!! So exciting!

Just had a dank interview for an in-house position. It would be super exciting to get it.

Why'd you decide to gun for in-house, if I may ask? DM if you want, I'm just really curious!
Cause as a white guy with median grades, 1L SA is off the table, and it would be nice to get paid. Plus I feel like everyone else does either law clerking for a judge or some non-profit work, neither of which really appeals to me. I have a strong inclination I want to do transactional/corporate work in the long run, so i figured it’d be nice to have some practical experience to talk about at OCI.
As a white guy only pulling top 30% at W&L, I'm not seeing SA's as off the table - I've got a callback on Monday for one. I think it's a matter of which regions you're interested in working in, because Alabama, West Virginia, and the Southeast in general have seemed pretty open to folks like me at W&L, and I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have a softer cut line at a t13.
You might be right; it could come down to regional preference and really focused applications. I guess I was just under the impression that 1L SA's weren't going to happen from the start, so I never even tried.

Good luck on the call-back, btw!

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:45 am
Contact:

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by Platopus » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:51 pm

Mikey wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:22 pm

I think in-house is like super dope, tbh.
Yeah me too. I always thought in-house corporate lawyers were bad-ass. Even if that belief is a little misguided.

OakBrook
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:54 pm

Re: Class of 2021: we're basically 1.5Ls now

Post by OakBrook » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:09 pm

Got rejected from my top gov position and starting to STRESS about this job search :(

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests