Harvard Law Admitted Students (Class of 2021)

Beans1111

Re: Harvard Law Admitted Students (Class of 2021)

Post by Beans1111 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:37 pm

Committed! Super pumped for ASW this week

solennita

Post by solennita » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:59 pm

I was reading the book that was sent to me while in line at the courthouse to get into a trial I’m covering for work and this attorney sitting next to me commented on it, asking if it was for an international law class. I said I was reading it for fun and that it was an admit gift from HLS and he burst out laughing saying, “Is that what they’re doing nowadays to make you forget about your debt?”

): but also definitely a real feeling lmao

principalagent

Post by principalagent » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:48 am

solennita wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:59 pm
I was reading the book that was sent to me while in line at the courthouse to get into a trial I’m covering for work and this attorney sitting next to me commented on it, asking if it was for an international law class. I said I was reading it for fun and that it was an admit gift from HLS and he burst out laughing saying, “Is that what they’re doing nowadays to make you forget about your debt?”

): but also definitely a real feeling lmao
hahahahahaha i'm dead

just got my aid award. better than expected actually, but very heavy all the same

alice37

Post by alice37 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:31 am

Has anyone else been really put off my Harvard's admin/admissions people? They kinda act like they don't give a shit about their students/admitted students. When I've tried to call admissions with simple, general questions, I've had the person I talk to be really rude.

It also really bothers me that they don't provide travel stipends, for the most part. There IS a part about it on their website. But if you log onto their asw website, and click to the travel stipend part, they make you put in the username and password you used for your status checker, which is confusing as hell. Now that I figured out how to log in, I see that you would have had to fill out the travel subsidy form BEFORE attending asw.

I've also had friends call and ask about travel stipends and have the admissions office be condescending and rude. I just think it's a really bad look, especially given that most other schools (including similarly-ranked ones) are generous and try to go out of their way to make sure that students can attend asw and feel welcome. Harvard's entire vibe, to me, is "well we know you're going to attend anyway so fuck you."

Yowza41

Post by Yowza41 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:46 am

alice37 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:31 am
Has anyone else been really put off my Harvard's admin/admissions people? They kinda act like they don't give a shit about their students/admitted students. When I've tried to call admissions with simple, general questions, I've had the person I talk to be really rude.

It also really bothers me that they don't provide travel stipends, for the most part. There IS a part about it on their website. But if you log onto their asw website, and click to the travel stipend part, they make you put in the username and password you used for your status checker, which is confusing as hell. Now that I figured out how to log in, I see that you would have had to fill out the travel subsidy form BEFORE attending asw.

I've also had friends call and ask about travel stipends and have the admissions office be condescending and rude. I just think it's a really bad look, especially given that most other schools (including similarly-ranked ones) are generous and try to go out of their way to make sure that students can attend asw and feel welcome. Harvard's entire vibe, to me, is "well we know you're going to attend anyway so fuck you."
Yeah I was not impressed with the travel stipend situation. I'm a college student who can't afford to drop $500 to fly to Boston for a weekend. I sent in the request and was told no as I didn't qualify for an LSAC fee waiver, and then even once I explained my situation including showing how much money I make a month at my part-time job, they still refused. In turn, I couldn't visit. Whereas Stanford is reimbursing my flight, as well as travel to and from airport. I also haven't received a book like most of the other admitted students, which I understand is not something owed to me, but still feels a little like Harvard doesn't really care if I attend.

alice37

Post by alice37 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:56 am

Yowza41 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:46 am
alice37 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:31 am

Yeah I was not impressed with the travel stipend situation. I'm a college student who can't afford to drop $500 to fly to Boston for a weekend. I sent in the request and was told no as I didn't qualify for an LSAC fee waiver, and then even once I explained my situation including showing how much money I make a month at my part-time job, they still refused. In turn, I couldn't visit. Whereas Stanford is reimbursing my flight, as well as travel to and from airport. I also haven't received a book like most of the other admitted students, which I understand is not something owed to me, but still feels a little like Harvard doesn't really care if I attend.
Yup, exactly. Stanford's travel stipend is so generous, and on top of that there's a note on the admitted student site that's like "if you are flying from far away, and will be facing a financial burden even with the stipend, please contact us and we will do our best to assist you." Stanford's also so nice and polite when you call...

It's not like Harvard doesn't have the endowment money for it. It just seems like they made a conscious decision to not be equal opportunity, or even super welcoming. Not a fan.

ContigoMontoya

Post by ContigoMontoya » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:43 pm

Anyone know how to appeal HLS fin aid to re-consider post-SLS fin aid? Is it the appeal form?

LawSSS2

Post by LawSSS2 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:50 pm

. found it...
Last edited by LawSSS2 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

april_ludgate

Post by april_ludgate » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:53 pm

LawSSS2 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:50 pm
I have no idea why I'm having such a tough time finding this, but does anyone know when Harvard's deadline is to commit?
May 1st!

LawSSS2

Post by LawSSS2 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:57 pm

april_ludgate wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:53 pm
LawSSS2 wrote:
I have no idea why I'm having such a tough time finding this, but does anyone know when Harvard's deadline is to commit?
May 1st!
thanks! just found it after like seven failed login attempts to the admit website. I cannot keep my ID/email/username info straight.

b-a-n-a-n-a-s

Post by b-a-n-a-n-a-s » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:10 pm

LawSSS2 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:57 pm
april_ludgate wrote:
LawSSS2 wrote:
May 1st!
thanks! just found it after like seven failed login attempts to the admit website. I cannot keep my ID/email/username info straight.
Doesn't help that they literally have four bajillion different systems we had to have logins for, lol. Also, don't we still have to use our initial login info to access our status checker/the commitment form?

LawSSS2

Post by LawSSS2 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:20 pm

b-a-n-a-n-a-s wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:10 pm
LawSSS2 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:57 pm
april_ludgate wrote:
LawSSS2 wrote:
May 1st!
Doesn't help that they literally have four bajillion different systems we had to have logins for, lol. Also, don't we still have to use our initial login info to access our status checker/the commitment form?
Yup, discovered that about a half an hour ago. That was a frustrating fifteen minutes. They have got to consolidate...

oldbay+boh

Post by oldbay+boh » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:31 am

What’s the calculus for people choosing HLS over full-rides? How are you making the debt vs. prestige decision for yourselves?

ekiki

Post by ekiki » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:41 am

Hi everyone - I have a question for those of you that know more about the financial situation at HLS than what’s on the website. I’m currently on the waitlist and I’m not sure if it’s worth staying on if going is totally unaffordable. My parents make around 30k and I’m in a job that is about that much too. No assets or anything so I’m wondering what kind of aid I would get if I was admitted. Anybody have any knowledge? If it’s very little I’m just going to withdraw from the waitlist since there’s no point in staying on if i can’t afford to go. Feel free to PM and if that’s easier! Don’t wanna clog up your Admitted students thread. Thanks!

Yowza41

Post by Yowza41 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:16 pm

ekiki wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:41 am
Hi everyone - I have a question for those of you that know more about the financial situation at HLS than what’s on the website. I’m currently on the waitlist and I’m not sure if it’s worth staying on if going is totally unaffordable. My parents make around 30k and I’m in a job that is about that much too. No assets or anything so I’m wondering what kind of aid I would get if I was admitted. Anybody have any knowledge? If it’s very little I’m just going to withdraw from the waitlist since there’s no point in staying on if i can’t afford to go. Feel free to PM and if that’s easier! Don’t wanna clog up your Admitted students thread. Thanks!
30K each or combined?

ekiki

Post by ekiki » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Yowza41 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:16 pm
ekiki wrote:
30K each or combined?
Combined

Yowza41

Post by Yowza41 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:31 pm

ekiki wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:26 pm
Yowza41 wrote:
ekiki wrote:
30K each or combined?
Combined
I think you would get a pretty solid amount then. My parents make about 70k combined and I make like 7,000 at my part-time job (as I'm a student). Harvard gave me $31,000 a year, so I would think you'd get even more than that.

ekiki

Post by ekiki » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:34 pm

Yowza41 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:31 pm
ekiki wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:26 pm
Yowza41 wrote:
ekiki wrote:
30K each or combined?
Combined
I think you would get a pretty solid amount then. My parents make about 70k combined and I make like 7,000 at my part-time job (as I'm a student). Harvard gave me $31,000 a year, so I would think you'd get even more than that.
Thanks for the info:) I got some other PMs too and the consensus seems like it’s worth it for me to ride the waitlist! I’ll let y’all know if I end up getting that sweet accept. Adios until then friends 😊

rachelac

Post by rachelac » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:07 pm

oldbay+boh wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:31 am
What’s the calculus for people choosing HLS over full-rides? How are you making the debt vs. prestige decision for yourselves?
Before I did the HLS calculations, I set boundaries for myself - I REALLY wanted to go for a variety of prestige and program reasons, but my rule was that if the debt was more than I could pay off in 5 years on the Cravath scale, I was going to say no and take my full ride at Virginia. I worked it out and it should be doable in 4, so I decided to go to HLS.

april_ludgate

Post by april_ludgate » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:08 pm

oldbay+boh wrote:
I'm going to be leaning on their LRAP lol

ContigoMontoya

Post by ContigoMontoya » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:46 pm

rachelac wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:07 pm
oldbay+boh wrote:
Before I did the HLS calculations, I set boundaries for myself - I REALLY wanted to go for a variety of prestige and program reasons, but my rule was that if the debt was more than I could pay off in 5 years on the Cravath scale, I was going to say no and take my full ride at Virginia. I worked it out and it should be doable in 4, so I decided to go to HLS.
I did a similar calculation (compared debt load to first-year market salary) and concluded HLS/SLS as well!

pupper

Post by pupper » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:06 pm

oldbay+boh wrote:
For me, the decision wasn't really about debt vs. prestige, but rather a question of how much the experience of going to a school like Harvard would be worth. If I would be happier there or have a better experience, that's worth something!

Another factor I considered is that Harvard's LRAP program is so generous and flexible that I wouldn't have to worry about being "stuck" in a biglaw job. Honestly, for someone fully dedicated to public interest, turning down Harvard would be pretty difficult because the total loans they'd have to take out is actually much larger than what they would actually end up paying back.

Yowza41

Post by Yowza41 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:40 pm

I finally got my book yesterday!

pozzo

Post by pozzo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:53 pm

Yowza41 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:40 pm
I finally got my book yesterday!
Woohoo! What'd ya get?

principalagent

Post by principalagent » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:29 pm

I'll throw in the other side. I'm taking the money. Here was my prestige vs debt calculus:

I went to HYP undergrad so I didn't feel like the prestige mattered to me as much, because I already have a name behind me. I do understand that not everyone has that, but that helped downplay HLS for me personally. The school I attended + UVA is good enough for me, and powerful enough to take me where I want to go (although I realize UG + HLS would be a very nice couple of resume lines). For my goals, UVA and HLS pretty much have no sunlight between. There are some judges that definitely prefer HLS for clerks, to the exclusion of non HYS schools, but 1) UVA grads have cracked those judges in the last couple years all the same and 2) in my home market where I have a slight preference for clerking, UVA punches way above its weight. I'm not at all concerned with finding a job in TX from either. And finally, fit was way better at UVA. I knew I would fit and enjoy it sooooo much more.

With all of that, a simple brand didn't make up the 180+k difference between UVA and Harvard. Not even close, honestly. And considering I can pay UVA off in just several months, paying off my HLS debt in four years (or five-six with clerking) just seemed silly. I would have considerably much more financial freedom to make jumps, and all the career paths I would be interested in post-firm are strengths of UVA in particular.

This all being my personal calculus here, but it mattered. I think comparing it to my other option made the choice easy and clear considering my goals.